Clegg Impact Tester / Clegg Decelerometer PNCLEGG-S-0.5 - 0.5 kg Model - For Golf Greens
The Clegg Impact Tester is a professional instrument to determine hardness on all types of areas - Readings in CIT's or Gravities (Gmax) - from Baseball, Football, Soccer, Natural Grass, Artificial Turf, Infill, Horse Racing, Turf Racing and all types of sports wherever surface hardness is important from turf care needs to playability.
New for 2019 - Wireless bluetooth display with GPS data logging. The NEW PNCLEGG-S-2.25-A- Clegg Impact Tester 2.25 kg model reads out from 0 to 150 Gravities or 0 to 15 CIT's and has a better accuracy range (+/- 1% or 1.5 G Accuracy) as compared to the 0-1000 Gravity unit (+/- 1% or 10 G Accuracy) for testing soft surfaces like natural and artificial athletic fields, infill products and sports fields. This model is the same model that is used to test all NFL National Football League Stadium Fields before games. Instruction manual comes with conversion formula to convert readings to F355 readings. Note the 150 g maximum reading on this unit is sufficient for maximum impact readings in the ASTM F355 range after using the conversion formula included in the Turf-Tec Instruction manual. 200 g's on F355 impact tester = 135 g's on Clegg Impact Tester.
The principle behind the Clegg Impact Soil Tester, also called the Clegg Hammer and Clegg Decelerometer is used to obtain a measurement of the deceleration of a free falling mass (Hammer) from a set height onto a surface under test to determine hardness. The impact of the hammer produces an electrical pulse, which is converted and displayed on the Control Unit in units of gravities "G-max" orThe Clegg Impact Tester is a professional instrument to determine hardness on all types of areas from Baseball, Football, Soccer, Natural Grass, Artificial Turf, Infill, Horse Racing, Turf Racing and all types of sports wherever surface harness is important from turfcare needs to playability. tens of gravities "CIT". Reference ASTM test methods D5874 and F1702.
The Clegg may be transported and operated by one person, allowing for low cost, rapid field and laboratory testing and direct readout of the test results. The Clegg can test a full range of natural grass fields & synthetic turf fields, all athletic surfaces, pads, infill materials and amendments where hardness or impact characteristics need to be controlled for safety or playability. The Clegg can also test a full range of soil and stone as encountered in the construction of flexible pavement and earthworks. It is useful for quickly checking variations during construction and monitoring changes over time due to seasonal environmental changes or road traffic as well as testing natural and "as constructed" conditions.
Unit Comes with the following:
- Impact Hammer
- Guide Tube with foot
- Tablet Tablet with Clegg Control App (available in the Google Play store)
- GPS integrated tablet
- BNC Coax Cable
- 12x12 inch foam Calibration Pad (0-150g 2.25 kg-A unit)
- Locking Pin to attach hammer to guide tube
- Handle and Hammer Release Spring Plunger with lockout
- Instruction Manual
- Battery Life: 12 Hours
- 3.7V/1.75Ah Lithium Ion Battery
- Complete Charge in 3 hours
- Results displayed/stored on tablet-based application
Simple and quick test procedure
The standard test protocol developed by Dr. Clegg is to drop the hammer four consecutive times on the same location with the highest value result in the series taken as the Peak Clegg Impact Test result. Since that time, other test protocols have been used based on the materials under test and the application. These other protocols like the ones used for testing artificial turf test the area with a single drop. The Clegg offers the convenience of rapidly scanning compaction variation over large areas. In research studies, 250 tests were performed with the Clegg in a four hour period.
- The test procedure is very rapid and can easily be performed by site personnel with minimal training. Each test can be completed in less than 30 sec. The results areClegg Impact Tester / Clegg Decelerometer shown with Turf-Tec Level immediate.
- Select a level surface (If needed, lightly scuffing surface with a foot to level the strike area)
- The guide tube is set into position, secure by placing a foot on the tube's base flange and steadied with the lower leg and knee)
- The ON/RESET button on the control box is pressed and release to activate the circuitry. The hammer is raised to the drop height indicator mark
- The level is centered.
- The hammer is released allowing it to fall freely and cleanly
- Without moving the guide tube or pressing the ON/RESET button, the Hammer is raised to the mark and release
- The gravities value (Gmax) or CIT value is displayed after the fourth blow is recorded and the display automatically powers down 30 sec. after activation
- Move to the next test site.
- Clegg (either 0.5kg - OR - 2.25 kg) hammer with hardened strike face
- Guide tube is metal and will provide years of reliable, accurate service
- Tablet comes ready to use with Clegg Control Application pre-installed and calibrated to your Clegg Hammer (available in the Google Play store)
Available in following models:
- 0.5 kg - Used for soft turf, sand areas and golf greens (0 to 1000 Gravities)
- 2.25 kg - Used for surfaces consisting of natural or synthetic turf (football, baseball, soccer fields, playgrounds, pitches, horse tracks, and golf greens). (0 to 1000 Gravities) (+/- 1% or 10 G Accuracy)
- 2.25 kg-A - New Used for surfaces consisting of natural or synthetic turf (football, baseball, soccer fields, playgrounds, pitches, horse tracks, and golf greens). (0 to 150 Gravities) New (+/- 1% or 1.5 G Accuracy)
- 4.5 kg - Used for surfaces such as preconstructed soils, trench reinstatement, bell holes, and foundations
- 10 kg - Used for flexible pavement, aggregate road beds, trench reinstatement, bell holes, and foundations.
- 20 kg - Used for surfaces such as flexible pavement, aggregate road beds, trench reinstatement, bell holes, and foundations.
Also see our infill depth gauges for accurate and consistent depths of infill materials
- Turf-Tec Professional Model Infill Depth Gauge
- Turf-Tec Economy Infill Depth Gauge for synthetic turf