MLT-RSU-C Miniature Low Tension (MLT) Model Current Output 4.75" (12cm) | Irrometer Soil Moisture Sensors
- IRROMETER "MLT" (Miniature Low Tension) - designed for applications similar to the Model "LT".
- Ideal for use with very coarse soils and non-soil container-media.
- Its compact size and replaceable "Quick-Flo" tip make it the best choice for green house applications.
- RSU-C Remote Sensing Units are designed to show soil moisture levels by converting the reading to a current signal.
- “RSU-C” Series Remote Sensing Units are designed for use on IRROMETER instruments to indicate soil moisture levels by converting the reading to a 4- 20 mA loop current signal.
- The signal can be read by a data logging device or an A/D card designed to read voltage.
- The value is expressed in centibars (cb) or kilopascals (kPa) of soil water tension by the reading device.
- The Current Remote Sensing Unit (Transducer IRROMETER) provides a 4-20 mA signal for those desiring to use dataloggers and other scientific equipment.
Note: A Service Unit is necessary for proper operation of the IRROMETER® instrument and should be included on initial orders. One unit will service ALL of your IRROMETERS:
- The Standard Service Unit (1001) is used during initial installation and then periodically for removal of air from instrument to ensure maximum sensitivity and accuracy.
- The Test Pump Service Unit (1002) serves the dual purpose of removing air and testing the gauge in one operation.
The Tensiometer is the only direct measurement system available, which means that it actually reads the physical forces at work in the soil. Tensiometers act like a dummy root, allowing the soil moisture to interact with the instrument through the ceramic tip. Soil water tension outside of the instrument tries to remove the water from it, which creates a measurable tension inside the column. This tension is read with either a mechanical gauge or a transducer attached to the instrument. While this is the most accurate and proven method available, there is some maintenance required periodically to keep them full of water, and they must be removed from the field during the winter months to avoid freezing.
- IRROMETER® measures soil water tension which indicates plant water availability.
- The IRROMETER Tensiometer is the standard in accurate soil moisture measurement, offering growers an inexpensive and reliable means of measuring soil moisture for irrigation scheduling.
- An IRROMETER will measure the actual soil water tension, which indicates the effort required by root systems to extract water from the soil.
- Because the IRROMETER is a true measurement of soil water potential, the instrument is not affected by salinity and does not require site calibration.
- The IRROMETER is available in several models, with standard lengths of 6", 12", 18", 24", 36", or 48" dependent on the rooting depth of the specific crop.
Model MLT Features
- Gauge with a full range of 0-40 cb (kPa)
- “Quick-Flo” ceramic tip (blue)
- Body-tip assembly can be easily replaced in the field
- Compact size is designed for small containers
- Hermetically Sealed Gauge
The IRROMETER Model MLT (Miniature Low Tension) was designed for use in small containers commonly used in greenhouses and nurseries. Its compact design and short insertion depth of 4.75 inches (12 cm) allows the MLT to be installed in smaller growing vessels. With a range of 0-40 centibars (cb) or kilopascals (kPa), this instrument is for use in situations where tensions above 30 cb (kPa) are rarely expected. Gauge increments of 1 cb (kPa) provide a benefit where finer resolution near saturation is needed. This model instrument is also well suited for conditions where rapidly changing soil moisture conditions need to be observed. The “Quick-Flo” ceramic tip is colored blue for easy identification.
“A” Series Automatic Gauges are designed for use on IRROMETER instruments and provide direct switching capabilities in addition to indicating soil moisture status. Soil water tension readings greater than the moisture set point can activate an irrigation valve solenoid, time clock or warning device. A switch mechanism is mounted on the gauge face and can be rotated to the desired set point. The gauge reads in centibars (cb) or kilopascals (kPa) of soil water tension.
Options for connecting IRROMETER tensiometers to data collection or control devices are available, including switching gauges as well as 4-20mA and 0.5V to 4.5V output transducers.
- Irrometer RSU-C Instruction Booklet (PDF)
- Irrometer MLT (Miniature LT) Spec Sheet) (PDF)
- Irrometer Output Options Spec Sheet (PDF)
- Irrometer Brochure (PDF)